Here are 10 things you should know about Eva Marie Saint, who today is celebrating her 96th birthday. Here’s wishing her many happy and healthy returns of the day!
Here are 10 things you should know about Lawrence Tierney, born 100 years ago today. Few actors known for playing bad guys lived as hard offscreen as on-, but Tierney was a genuine tough guy and had the arrest record to show for it.
The lovely Eva Marie Saint was born 92 years ago today in Newark, New Jersey. Here are 10 EVS Did-You Knows:
- Saint attended Bethlehem Central High School in Delmar, New York, graduating in 1942.
- Saint won a Best Supporting Actress Oscar for her first theatrical picture, Elia Kazan‘s On The Waterfront, in which appeared opposite Marlon Brando. All 18 of her earlier credits were on television.
- Just two days after winning the Oscar, Saint gave birth to her son Darrell.
- Saint’s competition for the role of Edie Doyle in that picture was Elizabeth Montgomery. Saint won the role by a nose.
- Saint graduated from Bowling Green State University in 1946. There is a theatre on the campus that is named after her.
- Saint’s waist-length hair was cut short for her role as a seductive spy opposite Cary Grant in Alfred Hitchcock‘s North by Northwest; the director insisted it made her more exotic. Hitchcock also personally chose Saint’s outfits for the film during a shopping trip to Bergdorf Goodman in New York City.
- Her nickname in high school was “Bubbles.” She was the senior class secretary and also a cheerleader.
- Saint was named after her mother, Eva Marie Rice.
- Her favorite movie is Francois Truffaut’s Day for Night.
- Saint has been married to writer-director-producer Jeffrey Hayden since 1951.
Happy birthday, Eva Marie Saint, and many happy returns of the day!