Here are 10 things you should know about Jean Parker, born 106 years ago today. She didn’t become as big a star as some expected, but she enjoyed a very successful 30-career on stage, in films and in radio and TV.
Here are 10 things you should know about Lon Chaney, born 138 years ago today. Chaney was celebrated for his facility with stage and screen makeup.
We’re giving away not one, not two, but three “Sons of Kong” boxed DVD sets to lucky Cladrite Radio followers. Each set comes with 10 movies on three discs, and a goofier gaggle of gorilla pictures you’d be hard-pressed to find.
Just check out these titles:
- The Ape (1940), starring Boris Karloff
- Bela Lugosi Meets a Brooklyn Gorilla (1952), starring, well, you can guess
- The Gorilla (1939), starring the Ritz Brothers and Bela Lugosi)
- The Ape Man (1943), starring—wait for it—Bela Lugosi
- Bride of the Gorilla (1951), starring Barbara Payton and Raymond Burr (sorry, no Bela in this one, but will Lon Chaney Jr. do?)
- The Savage Girl (1932), starring Rochelle Hudson
- The White Gorilla (1945), starring Ray Corrigan
- Law of the Jungle (1942), starring Arline Judge
- White Pongo (1945), starring Richard Fraser
- Nabonga (1944), starring Buster Crabbe and Julie London (yes, that Julie London)
We’re confident you’ll agree that that’s one impressive assortment of simian silliness. And this bounty of cinematic missteps comes in pop-up packaging that you’ll be proud to display in your home!
How to enter? Easy. Just follow us on Facebook and Twitter (if you haven’t followed us on either or both of those platforms, now’s your chance to rectify that—just follow the links on the upper left), watch for our posts/tweets about the giveaway and share/retweet them with the hashtag #crgorillagiveaway. You can enter once per post per platform. The entry period ends at midnight ET on Wednesday, July 6. (Sorry, this giveaway is open to residents of the U.S. and Canada only.)